online banking - aqbanking setup problems

Clayton Ginsburg cginsburg at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 10:18:40 EST 2013

Hi,

I am currently trying to setup gnucash(2.4.11 running on MacOS X 10.6)
for online banking on etrade.com.  I am receiving the error message
"HTTP-Status: 400 (Unsupported OFX message set BANK)" when I try to
retrieve transactions.  Any suggestions are much appreciated.  I've
tried to include all of the steps I've taken.
Steps:
1) Tools Menu -> Online Banking Setup....
2) Click on Forward
3) Click on Start AqBanking Wizard
4) Click on Create User
5) Click on Next in the New User Wizard
6) Chose OFX-DirectConnect backend and clicked Next
7) Click on Run
8) Click on Next in the OFX DirectConnect Setup Wizard window
9) Clicked on Select and chose E*TRADE (446) and clicked next
10) entered my real name as my user name and entered my e*trade login id
that I use for the e*trade.com website in the User Id field and clicked Next
11) Used the default Emulated Application of "Intuit Quicken Windows
2011" with application id of 'QWIN', Application Version '2000', and
header version '102' (no quotes) and clicked next
12) clicked on next to start the create user process
13) accepted the security certificate
14) Waited a minute or so for it to do whatever it is doing(looks like
it is getting info off of ofx.etrade.com)
15) Clicked on "Retrieved Account List"
16) Entered my password and accepted the certificate
17) Saw a message saying the server successfully processed the request
and clicked Close and then clicked on Finish on the OFX DirectConnect
Setup Wizard
18) Clicked close on AqBanking
19) Created a new account for etrade
20) opened the new account in gnucash and used the Menu item Actions ->
Online Actions -> Get Transactions ...
21) Left the default of earliest possible transactions to Now
22) clicked ok and entered my password and got the following.

Log(username removed)

Sending jobs to the bank(s)
Locking user <removed>
Sending request...
Connecting to server...
Resolving hostname "ofx.etrade.com" ...
IP address is "12.153.224.71"
Connecting to "ofx.etrade.com"
Connected to "ofx.etrade.com"
Connected.
Sending message...
Message sent.
Waiting for response...
Waiting for response...
HTTP-Status: 400 (Unsupported OFX message set BANK)
Error parsing server response
Unlocking user <removed>
Postprocessing jobs
Resetting provider queues