Request for aid after hard drive crash

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 18 12:39:14 EST 2013

John--

For an explanation of the file names, take a look at: http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_What_are_all_these_.gnucash_and_.log_files_filling_up_my_directory.3F

Given that your source file is older than your backups (how did you determine this?), then you should follow the information provided in the above FAQ section to open one of the backup files and save it correctly.

Getting the file onto your new machine is as simple as dragging it to the appropriate folder in Finder. Anticipating your next question, the new installation will not know about this file, and will default to asking you if you want to create a new account hierarchy. Just cancel that and use File->Open to open the file you recently renamed and copied to the new location.

HTH,
David

P.S.: Try to keep these on the list (by using Reply-All) so that others can benefit from the discussion.