Gnucash file suffix question.

Jean-David Beyer jeandavid8 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 22 11:38:09 EST 2013

On 01/22/2013 08:13 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:
> On 22-01-13 13:38, Jean-David Beyer wrote:

[snip]

>> Should I leave the main data file as it is (JeanDavid.2006) or should I
>> change it to JeanDavid.2006.gnucash? I suspect it makes no difference,
>> but in the future would it cause me problems to leave it as is?
> You can leave it as is or change it if you like. For GnuCash it doesn't
> matter and never will. The file extension is only relevant for your
> desktop environment. If the file has a proper file extension, you can
> open it by double clicking on it in your file browser (eg Dolphin or
> Nautilus). Without a proper file extension, your system wouldn't know
> which application to use.
>
> Geert

I decided to do it.

I leave some reports open all the time, and they disappeared when I did
that. I guessed the problem and fixed it.

Rummaged around in directory ~/.gnucash/books (It seems my report
definitions are kept in there.)

books looks like this at the moment:

 13130 Jan 22 11:28 JeanDavid.2006.gnucash.gcm
   380 Jan 22 11:13 JeanDavid.2006.gnucash.gcm.HIDE