Split transactions are killing me

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 30 10:50:03 EST 2013

Will--

The piece I'd add top this is that it appears you're having trouble understanding the double-entry part of GnuCash.

Every transaction has two (or more) sides that must balance out. In your example, as others have noted, you are putting everything on the same side, and GC is helping you by showing that the transactions isn't balanced.

In the example you're giving, I am assuming you're using your credit card to pay for stuff at Costco. Therefore, the $1000 would go in the left column, and your expense entries would go in the right one. Then everything will balance out.

HTH,
David