Split transactions are killing me

jcard21 xxxxxxx jcard21+gnucash at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 18:09:35 EST 2013

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 5:45 PM, Will <Will.stewart1a at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, Liz seems to have nailed the correct procedure.
>
> Hitting TAB to move to new lines and/or fields, on top of putting the
> individual charges in the payment field (?) ended up as follows;

When entering txn splits, I always use TAB, Shift-Tab, and the UP and
DOWN arrow keys.

> I find it quite telling that even experienced users are confused
> on this matter.

And yet, many inexperienced users "get it" right away ... go figure! :-)

PS: I can never remember debits vs credits. So, I "unchecked"

Edit > Preferences > Accounts > Labels > Use formal accounting labels.

... so now my split column-headers say either:

"Tot Increase" and "Tot Decrease", or
"Tot Received" and "Tot Spent", or
"Tot Expense" and "Tot Rebate"

This tells me right away which column to put the split line amount in.

--
jcard21