Split transactions are killing me

James Kerr jim at jkerr82508.free-online.co.uk
Wed Jan 30 18:24:15 EST 2013

On 30/01/2013 22:45, Will wrote:
> Ok, Liz seems to have nailed the correct procedure.
>
> Hitting TAB to move to new lines and/or fields, on top of putting the
> individual charges in the payment field (?) ended up as follows;
>
> <http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4659295/Screenshot_update.png>
>
> I suppose this is right, though the Payment concept is an odd one that
> doesn't make much sense.

It is the consequence of substituting "user-friendly" column headings
for "debit" and "credit". In split transactions these "user-friendly"
headings can sometimes be confusing. However, for someone unfamiliar
with double entry accounting, debits and credits could be even more
difficult to understand.

It is possible to elect to use debit and credit in place of the
"user-friendly" headings. From the menu select Edit - Preferences -
Accounts - Use formal accounting labels. (Not recommended unless you
understand the principles of double entry accounting.)

Jim