Re 2.5.3 release - Ubuntu

Chris Good chris.good at ozemail.com.au
Sat Jul 13 23:19:32 EDT 2013

Hi John,

Thanks for letting me know about this. I appreciate you taking the time.

I've seen all the good work you do in this forum so respect your opinion
very much.

I've just spent many hours reading about Unity & Mir. I hadn't previously
heard about the Mir issue.

I only been using Ubuntu for about a year and a half, so I'm not qualified
to comment on Ubuntu development directions.

>From what I've read, it seems opinion on Unity/Mir is divided.

I haven't seen before anything saying Ubuntu was unreliable.

I can say from my experience that 12.04 LTS (Long Term Support) seems to be
reliable.

The whole idea of LTS is you only get updates that should not compromise
reliability.

If you want the latest & greatest, then you elect to install non LTS
updates, and take the documented risks.

Will Ubuntu going to Mir mean that GnuCash will no longer run in Ubuntu?

Although I'm a big fan of FOSS, I run GnuCash under Windows, rather than
Ubuntu anyway.

Primarily because I started off with GncCash in Windows as I use my own MS
Access app to control my Investments (smalltime) and comparing that to
GnuCash helps ensure I'm not making data entry errors.

I have also found a couple of things that meant using GnuCash in Ubuntu
wasn't as nice as Windows:

1)      Occasionally the window title bar and menubar disappear - rebooting
fixes. I'm not sure if this is a Unity problem.

2)      Small toolbar icons with no help text always visible

Regards, Chris