Re 2.5.3 release - Ubuntu

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Jul 13 23:55:38 EDT 2013

On Jul 13, 2013, at 8:19 PM, Chris Good <chris.good at ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> Hi John,
>

> Thanks for letting me know about this. I appreciate you taking the time.
>
> I've seen all the good work you do in this forum so respect your opinion
> very much.
>

> I've just spent many hours reading about Unity & Mir. I hadn't previously
> heard about the Mir issue.
>
> I only been using Ubuntu for about a year and a half, so I'm not qualified
> to comment on Ubuntu development directions.
>

> From what I've read, it seems opinion on Unity/Mir is divided.
>

> I haven't seen before anything saying Ubuntu was unreliable.
>
> I can say from my experience that 12.04 LTS (Long Term Support) seems to be
> reliable.
>
> The whole idea of LTS is you only get updates that should not compromise
> reliability.
>
> If you want the latest & greatest, then you elect to install non LTS
> updates, and take the documented risks.
>

> Will Ubuntu going to Mir mean that GnuCash will no longer run in Ubuntu?
>

> Although I'm a big fan of FOSS, I run GnuCash under Windows, rather than
> Ubuntu anyway.
>
> Primarily because I started off with GncCash in Windows as I use my own MS
> Access app to control my Investments (smalltime) and comparing that to
> GnuCash helps ensure I'm not making data entry errors.
>

> I have also found a couple of things that meant using GnuCash in Ubuntu
> wasn't as nice as Windows:
>
> 1)      Occasionally the window title bar and menubar disappear - rebooting
> fixes. I'm not sure if this is a Unity problem.
>
> 2)      Small toolbar icons with no help text always visible

Not sure where to go with all of that. Canonical claims that they've got shims in place and that all of the
major desktop environments work with Mir. There's no knowing whether that includes Gnucash -- 2.4
still has a pile of seriously obsolete dependencies -- until someone get hold of it and tries it out.

Regards,
John Ralls