Always Online?

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 16 19:32:49 EDT 2013

I don't see anyone directly addressing your concerns. I, a mere user of Gnucash (and a Mac one, at that!), will try to fill in some blanks...

Basically (as I understand it) some aspect of Gnucash (perhaps the gconf settings editor) makes use of the internal IP address of 127.0.0.1. This IP address on most computers is defined as a loopback device, and is entirely internal to the machine upon which it is accessed. Indeed, on most machines, this IP address is equated with "LOCALHOST".

For reasons that no one has been able to explain, some Windows installations do not have this equivalency, and so when Gnucash makes its request to 127.0.0.1, Windows (mistakenly) thinks that the program is attempting to access the Internet. On tightly-secured computers, this spurious Windows error kicks up warnings, and the user is left to believe that Something Evil is happening.

It's not. There is nothing being sent out behind your back. No one from Gnucash is stealing your data or feeding it to hackers.

For more gory details, try looking at the thread from late 2010/early 2011 that begins at: http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2010-December/037637.html

HTH,
David