Can't select data file

Lincoln A Baxter lab at lincolnbaxter.com
Tue Jun 11 06:31:25 EDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-06-11 at 03:24 -0700, Steve wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> 1. No, there's no other dialog box open that I'm missing, and have never
> used a second monitor
>
> 2. I can start regular GC; but then I get the screen where I have to select
> "File" and then "Open" in order to select a datafile, that's where I'm
> unable to effectively select a data file.  And as mentioned, if I do get
> beyond that step (using my GC portable), although i can switch the tabs say,
> from cash to a checking account, it won't let me do anything, it's
> non-responsive.
>
> The fact that it works under a different user (thank goodness) is a relief,
> so I know it's not the data file, and at least I know it's not the GC
> portable program.  And as I think I mentioned I did re download the GC
> program, but that makes no difference.  I also thought maybe something in
> one of the GC config files got screwed up, so I replaced those with a b/u
> copy, to no avail.
>
> EVerything else on that laptop works just fine.  It's just GC that is giving
> me fits.  Glad that I have b/u files but in this instance, that's not
> helpful.  But at least I can access and use the data file and program under
> a different user, under I discovered that, really was losing it :)
>
> I'll work on it again today, just makes no sense.  Looks more and more it's
> not a GC issue, but some Windows issue impacting GC.

It strikes me, especially since it works with a different user, that
this may be a file permissions/ownership issue.  I don't know how to
look at that on windows, but I would think that if you don't have write
access to the files, or the directory where they live, you might not be
able to open them.