VAT Based on Payment rather than invoice

IainMacGnu gigamac at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 05:00:19 EDT 2013

I submit my VAT returns based on payment date rather than the invoice date.

In other words, when I get billed, or when I submit an invoice, the VAT %
gets posted to the expenses account for tax, but what really matters to me
is when I pay or get paid, as that is what my VAT liability is calculated
on...

... This especially makes sense when i get a bill that I repay in
instalments - the VAT I claim back is not on the whole bill, but on the
instalments I pay each month...

How do I make Gnucash post on payment rather than invoice for VAT?