Stable Version 2.4.13 will not print on Windows 7

Lake Resident lakeresident22 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 05:13:08 EDT 2013

All,

Here is a summary of the issue and a work-around, after several weeks of
investigation:

After installing GnuCash 2.4.13 on a Windows 7 64 bit PC, none of the
reports would print to my HP PhotoSmart C4780 printer.  There was never any
problem seeing the reports in GnuCash, only printing them.  Looking at the
print queue, the report would appear for less than a second, then disappear.

Comment 40 in the bug report did not resolve this issue.  In fact, my
installation of Windows 7 does not allow the "Windows Configuration" to be
selected permanently  It always goes back to "Customer Configuration."
This behavior is the same on all of the Windows 7 PCs in my
office.  Comment 40 appears to be related mainly to being able to see the
reports in GnuCash, which is not my issue.

I focused on the print driver for the HP C4780 printer.  I completely
removed and reinstalled the latest print driver, but still have the same
problem. HP has a "Basic" print driver for the HP C4780 printer, but this
would not install without errors.  None of the HP diagnostics could find
any problem with the print driver.

An acceptable work-around is to install PDFCreator as an additional
printer.  GnuCash has no problem printing to the printer, and then I can
print a hard copy from the PDF file.  It is also handy to be able to
produce a PDF invoice that can be emailed.

So, this printing issue appears to be a combination of bugs in Windows 7
and/or the specific HP print driver that I am using.  Rather than spending
another minute trying to fix this obscure problem, I will use PDFCreator.

Thanks for all your help.

Charles