Reconciling checking account mystery starting balance

Jon Dallara jondallara at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 22:24:16 EDT 2013

Hello,

   I set up a new instance of GnuCash for my business by entering the
information from statements from my bank for both my savings and
checking accounts.  My savings account reconciled no problem.  I tried
my checking account and the reconcile dialog is insisting that my
starting balance is -$248.00.  My gnucash checking account and my bank
statements are both the same and they agree that the opening balance for
the account was $100 and no where is there a -$248 value or
transaction.  It isn't on the general journal report nor the general
ledger report.  How do I find out where GnuCash is getting this value?
I wasn't able to reconcile the first period of my register because I
couldn't end up with a zero balance so I selected to cancel the
reconciliation.  I then went back to try it again and now GnuCash is
telling me that the period is reconciled (all check boxes are marked)
and now my starting balance for the next period is -$248.  I can provide
any reports or other listings that might help.

Thanks,

Jon.

--
Jon Dallara