Chapter 8 - investment accounts

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Wed Nov 6 15:12:58 EST 2013

Hi,

On Wed, November 6, 2013 3:06 pm, Jamestk wrote:
> Thanks for the reply John.
>
> Let me skip ahead as my data entry problem (orphan entries) may be related
> to how I create a security.
>
> When I use the default IBM security for mock data entry there is no
> problem
> at all, well almost none. It doesn't feel intuitive but works. Ok, when I
> try this on my main programme by creating real stocks the wheels come off.
>
> Firstly data entry without creating duplicates and/or orphaned trades is
> impossible which leads me to believe it  could be a glitch.
>
> When setting up a new stock (commodity) I mimic the IBM symbol but create
> new LSE exchange (and symbol). When comparing the headings, the newly
> created stock differs somewhat, here are the titles.
>
> *Action, Memo,Account, Shares, Price, Buy, sell*
>
> This differs somewhat to the IBM stock
>
> *Date, Num, Description, Tot shares, Tot buy, Tot sell, Balance*
>
> I ma sure my error will be obvious to experienced users but for the life
> of
> me, i can't spot the problem.

The difference is the transaction view mode and what line you're in.  If
you are in a split-expanded view then the headers will change depending on
whether you're on the main transaction line or in the splits.

If your case the IBM is a basic-view, whereas the other is a split view
and sitting in a split line.

> Cheers,
>
> David

-derek

> --

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745