Working with securities

Christopher Singley csingley at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 11:22:45 EDT 2013

Hi, I've tried RTFM, the FAQ on the website, and searching this mailing
list archive - alas, can't quite find the guidance I need.

1) When I cut a balance sheet for a given date, the prices I've entered
into the Price Editor tool don't seem to be used to value my securities.
How is this supposed to work?

2) What is the right way to book an interbroker transfer of securities
(e.g. via ACATS system)?  My chart of accounts features a cash account for
each broker, with subaccounts listing the "commodity" as the security
created in the Security Editor tool.  What I'm trying to do is open the
register for the subaccount currently holding the commodity, then creating
a split with negative units on the "from" account, and corresponding
positive positive units on the "to" account.  I'm leaving all
debits/credits blank.  Is that right?  For tax reporting purposes, will
this preserve my cost basis, holding period (LTCG vs. STCG), and lot order
(for FIFO or other basis matching) data?

3) Return of capital distributions - in searching the archives, I've found
advice to other users about entering these as Dr cash, Cr cost basis.  This
is the correct accounting, but can somebody help walk me through the data
entry on the UI?  Is this done by opening the register for the security
account, then entering the cash account as the "Transfer account", then
entering the return of capital amount as a credit?  Are these
debits/credits the amounts used for cost basis & basis matching?

I'm making a serious attempt at migrating lock/stock/barrel to GnuCash, and
running a bunch of historical data through it to familiarize myself with
the system.  So far I see a lot to like, just having a bit of trouble
wrapping my head around the treatment of securities.

Thanks in advance.