Cannot start gnuCash after win7 lockup

Len Goddard kadath at kadath.plus.com
Thu Sep 5 16:45:54 EDT 2013

A couple of days ago several apps on my Win 7 system locked up.  I
killed what I could but I couldn't clear the logjam so I rebooted.
Windoze locked during shutdown and I had eventually to force a
powerdown.  Several applications (innocent bystanders) were affected -
uTorrent lost its configuration and the encrypted KeePass database was
corrupted.  gnuCash seems to have faired the worst.  When I attempt to
start it, either via the icon or by clicking a .gnucash file, the splash
screen and tips screen come up, then go away.  I looked through some
similar but old threads on this list but nothing seemed to help.  In
particular,  I have
1. reinstalled
2. uninstalled, deleted everything that the uninstall left behind then
installed
3. run gnucash-launcher.cmd from a command prompt

All this gave the same result, splash+tips then nothing.

Then I ran gnucash-launcher.cmd from a Cygwin bash shell and it gave me
the new user wizard.  I declined to create a new account and opened the
old one from the menu which worked fine.  So, the code appears to be
working and the data file appears to be intact.  I am guessing that
somewhere there is a corrupt config file somewhere which is bypassed
when I run it under Cygwin - any suggestions?

I really hate windows.  Long term gnuCash will be migrated to a linux
machine but that is not practical in the short term.

Thanks,
Len