Canada Business End-of-Year Tax Statement (T4) generation.

Damon Erickson damon at metapaso.com
Thu Apr 3 00:36:46 EDT 2014

Hi. I'm new to the forum and fairly new to GnuCash. I searched
extensively online and in the list archive for an answer to this
question, but I couldn't find an answer.

I run the finances for a small co-op daycare. We have 12 families and 2
employees, and we are located in Ontario, Canada. We have 6 taxes:
Federal Income, Provincial Income, CPP-Employee, CPP-Employer,
EI-Employee, & EI-Employer.

I have set up a Payroll split transaction template to appropriately
assign the transaction to expense and liability accounts.  My question
is about end-of-year reporting on a per-employee basis. I've just
started using gnucash in 2014, and at the end of this year, we will have
to generate end-of-year statements for each employee (T4 in Canada,
equivalent to a U.S. W-2).

A few online guides warned against creating individualized sub-accounts
for each employee (such as Liabilities:CPP-Employee:Empl1,
Liabilities:CPP-Employer:Empl1), because, these guides said, it's easier
to filter on a per-employee basis.  But no guide showed me how to do
that filtering.

Does anyone have any experience doing this reporting either in Canada or
in another jurisdiction?  Specifically, I'm looking for guidance on how
to label each transaction so that I can appropriately filter, and then
how to DO the filtering.
  I'm not even sure if a report will work or if I will be able to filter
at all at this kind of granularity.  I'd like a report that gives me the
yearly totals in this format:

Employee#
Gross Income
Fed Tax Paid
Ontario Tax Paid
CPP Paid by Employee
CPP Paid by Employer
EI paid by Employee
EI paid by Employer

(I suppose net Income would be helpful too).

Ideally, the report would include all the employees in the same report
and the totals of the taxes paid in each category.

Thanks,
Damon