Mint to GnuCash

Chris Lonsberry chris.lonsberry at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 13:13:15 EDT 2014

Hello list. I just posted the following question at:
http://superuser.com/questions/738129/how-to-move-mint-transaction-data-to-gnucash

But I figured I should ask here as well, since this list has a good number
of experts.

Thanks!

Online financial aggregators are great for getting transactions from all of
your accounts into one place, but the accounting tools they provide are
pretty minimal. I'm a Mint user, and I like the idea of letting Mint manage
the connection to my bank, but I need to get the data into a real
accounting package: GnuCash.

Mint provides the data in CSV format. So far I have been able to convert
that data into QIF. The file format for QIF was simple enough that I was
able to write my own conversion tool.

However, with QIF I can only import data from one account at a time.
Ideally I would like to be able to download transactions from all of my
accounts at once. Here's a sample of Mint data with a few accounts in it:

Date,Description,Original Description,Amount,Transaction
Type,Category,Account Name,Labels,Notes
3/29/2014,BART,BART-POWELL QPS 5104646979 CA 94102 US
C_OTHERTRAVEL,20,debit,Public Transportation,CapitolOne Visa,,
3/28/2014,Student Loan Payment,MY STUDENT LOAN LENDER,40,debit,Student
Loan,Checking,,
3/28/2014,Check 995525,Check Paid #995525,64,debit,Check,Checking,,
3/28/2014,Mortgage,MY MORTGAGE COMPANY,1.95,debit,Credit Card
Payment,OtherChecking,,
3/28/2014,Paycheck,MY EMPLOYER,1,000,000.00,credit,Paycheck,Checking,,

It would be nice if I could take this file and process it once and output a
file that GnuCash could then import into the correct accounts. I was
working with an OFX converter, but I'm not clear that OFX can combine data
from multiple accounts into a single file due to the requirement to have a
ledger balance line.

Is this a reasonable way to try to move data from Mint to GnuCash?

Chris