Problem with the GnuCash TXF file (BobF)

Alex Aycinena alex.aycinena at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 12:55:37 EDT 2014

Bob,

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 9:32 AM, Bob Flora <bflora2 at carolinaroad.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your reply, Alex! I found GnuCash's tax report to be very good,
> and I was able to manually enter my numbers into TT with no problem.
>
> There were no error messages from either TT or HRB during TXF import, and
> I'm not aware of a log file for either program. However, both programs work
> well with TXF files exported by my old Quicken 2003 program. So, I will
> create a dummy ledger in Quicken, add some income/expense values, and
> export the values to TXF. Then I'll create a dummy ledger in GnuCash using
> the same income/expense values and export the values to TXF. After
> verifying the Quicken TXF file works and the GnuCash TXF doesn't, I'll send
> both files to you so you can compare them. I can also test any code changes
> you make while you work on the issue.
>
> Things are busy right now, but I'll do this in a week or two, if that's ok.
>
> Bob

That would be great - great approach.

One other thing I've been meaning to get to, but I need help from someone
like you, is adding the capability to generate capital gains/losses TXF
output, which gnucash doesn't yet do. If you could also include in your
test Quicken output some dummy capital gains and capital losses, and
confirm that the tax software can accept that output correctly, I would
have a 'proven' model to base my gnucash output on.

If we can spot the difference between the Quicken and gnucash outputs, I
will modify the gnucash report and TXF output accordingly and send you the
report so you can test it.

Any time in the next several weeks is fine with me.

Thanks for your help.

Alex