Quicken 98 Import

farleykj farleykj at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 08:49:05 EDT 2014

In terms of importing or starting fresh, I tried it both ways.
The mountain of old data that is in a Quicken file, goofy categories, etc.
leads to a rather large file that takes a long time to load into GnuCash.
It's good to have the old stuff in one place, as you suggest, but I needed
to do a whole lot of re-organizing. And there were tons and tons of old
investment accounts (one for every ill-advised stock I might have bought and
sold in twenty years).
This year, I took the initiative to start a fresh file, building a nice
concise set of accounts. Old data was input only if it was pertinent to my
current financial status. The new file loads very fast, and is more nimble
and tidy. As you might suspect, as many suggest, the fresh new file is
significantly better.
Also, if you're worried about it, you can (and I did) keep your Quicken
stuff going, using it to match up balances as you go through the learning
period of using Gnucash. You can eventually retire Quicken and use it only
if you need to reminisce about the good old days.

-----
Ken Farley