total newbie - did something dumb - please help

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Tue Apr 22 10:40:16 EDT 2014

On Tuesday 22 April 2014 10:31:15 Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> roberta actor-thomas <roberta.actorthomas at gmail.com> writes:
> > Thank you so much for your response, Derek. I'll go back to the
> > point where I'd created accounts, but not yet entered any sales,
> > create my customer and read up on how to connect sales and invoices
> > to the amount the customer owes in AR.
>
> All you do is create the Invoice for the Customer, assigned
> "Income:Sales" (or whatever income/sales account you use) to the
> line-items in the Invoice, then post the invoice to A/R.  That will
> generate the "Income -> A/R" transaction.  Later, when they pay, just
> "Process Payment" for the amount they paid.
>
> >    They overpaid too, but want it to be applied to the next sale, so
> >    that>
> > will make it extra interesting. I know that extra $ is supposed to
> > hang out in a liability account like "Unearned" - will see what the
> > guide says about overpayments.
>
> If it is overpaid the overpayment will hang around in A/R and will
> automatically apply to future posted invoices for the Customer.  This
> feature has always been there since the first release that included
> the business features.
>
> > Thanks again,
> > Roberta
>
> -derek
Whether or not an overpayment will be applied automatically to the next invoice depends on
the version of gnucash and the preferences set. Prior to gnucash 2.6 these overpayments did
indeed get applied automatically to newly posted invoices unconditionally.

In 2.6 it depends on the preferences set in Edit->Preferences->Business. If configured not to
apply the overpayment automatically, you can apply it yourself by choosing the apply
payment button. The overpayment will appear in the list of unprocessed invoices/payments.

Geert