Advanded portfolio breakdown

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Mon Apr 28 17:44:08 EDT 2014

Scott Armitage wrote:

>The portion coming from stock price increase, also known as capital gain,
>will be reflected by your "unrealized gain", while dividends will be
>reflected by your "income".

I'm really going to jump in here again, after pointing out that I am NOT
a qualified tax advisor.

LOGICALLY what you said is correct. The gain that comes from an increase
in the price of the stock is a "capital gain". But whether you end up
reporting that as "income" or a "capital gain" is going to depend on the
tax code and this MAY (it used to) depend on the length of time from
when the stock was bought to when it was sold. The tax code MAY tax
(what it considers) capital gains at a different rate than ordinary income.

Michael