Viewing updated share values

Sean Parsons sbparsons at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 6 16:30:59 EST 2014

Hi,

Apologies if this is a common question - I’m new to both GnuCash and mailing lists… and couldn’t find the answer in a google search.

Basically I have set up some accounts that reflect shares that I have owned for some time. They were entered under an Assets -> Investments account, and balanced against Equities -> Opening Balances.

I’m far from an accountant but I’m hoping this is correct. At the time of entry the securities were set up and the Get Online Quotes box checked (I have installed the necessary modules for online prices) and when entering the transactions, the backdated stock prices were used as that’s what I paid for them a while back.

I am able to fetch latest prices online and I see the correct up-to-date share prices in the Price Editor, but I am unable to get the tree of accounts to display the most up to date values based on quantity * latest share price. The price shown is always the quantity * original price.

Have I done something wrong, or is this expected behaviour? (Note: I have tried viewing various columns including Total (EUR) but they all show the same amount).

Thanks for any pointers.

Regards,

Sean

Sent from Windows Mail