Non-profit / charity / fund accounting, example help, please

Wm wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Sat Dec 6 16:29:07 EST 2014

Sat, 29 Nov 2014 22:18:14
<20141130041815.0E5B54C3045 at pelczynski.math.okstate.edu>  Dale Alspach
<alspach at math.okstate.edu>

>We do receive restricted funds. They are placed into an asset account
>separate from normal operating funds. There is no offsetting liability
>though.

This is where accounting views come in.

Questions are "who's money is it?" and "can you spend it any way you
want?"

Dale: please note, I am not questioning you or your org in any way, I'm
doing examples, hope that is clear!

Presuming that you are given funds that you can only spend on some stuff
(say maintenance of external fixtures and fittings rather than internal
decoration) would you put them in different accounts or the same one?

> When somehing arises that qualifies for disbursing from the
>restricted funds, then funds are used from that account. (Similar to your
>example.)

I'm trying to build a generalist CoA, throw things at me :)

>We also internally
>restrict the use of the mortgage payments received from our homeowners
>until there is a sufficient amount to build a house. The next house is then
>one funded by the current homeowners.

I *think* I see what is happening with the mortgages now but didn't
before.  I like your model.  Unfortunately I live far away and don't
control your taxes and stuff.

Let's talk about natural accounting some time, eh?

--
Wm...