Mac OSX "error parsing the file"--I need help!

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Dec 23 17:02:04 EST 2014

On Tuesday 23 December 2014 13:51:08 De Clarkson wrote:
> When I tried to open the file outside of the application, that's when
> I was clicking on the .gnucash file, results above.  If I open
> Gnucash and go to File>Open and choose one of my recent .gnucash
> files…
>
> it opened!!
>
> I can't believe the fix was that easy.  My window didn't open with the
> default Account tabs, but it did open with all my accounts (at a
> cursory glance) there.
>
> Wow.  You're smart, and I'm not!  Thank you!
>
> P.S.  Any idea why that worked and the rest of it didn't?

Yes - this is a known bug in the OS X version of GnuCash. On OS X you can't double-click on a
gnucash data file in the finder to open it. GnuCash will open but it will not know you double-
clicked on a file.

You may never have noticed this in the past because when you open GnuCash without a file
(which is how it seems to GnuCash on OS X when you double-click your data file) it will open
your most recently used file.

For some reason on your system GnuCash was unable to find this most recently use file. You
may have moved or renamed it or one of its parent directories.

Anyway, glad it works again :)

Geert