New file/Book Options

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 22:10:59 EST 2014

On 12/29/2014 3:23 PM, m shires wrote:
> I am trying to set up as a new user.  I was doing pretty well until I got
> to the setup (Accounts) NEW BOOK OPTIONS, Accounts --- Use Split Action
> Field for Number.
>
> I read the information both in the manual and instructions in the
> download.  The manual section reference is 10.3 Book Options;
> 10.3.1.3. Use Split Action Field for Number
>
> I vaguely understood what the discussion in this section was talking about,
> but not really.  Is there someplace that shows examples comparing the
> difference between the two settings?  A picture would really help!
>
> Mill

That is a new feature in the release 2.5.x series and following.
Historically, the left-most field in split lines would get automatically
filled with an action description in certain cases, such as Buy or Sell
when the split line account was a security account, for example.
Usually, that field is left blank.  I think that option tells GnuCash
that you want to put numbers in the left-most field.  Reading the new
help section about this setting is really scary, and I see why you are
worried.

I am not sure what difference it really makes, as I have been putting
numbers in that field all along, long before that option appeared, and
GnuCash always accepted them without complaint.  In any case, I do not
think that option is very important to many users.  If other users
disagree, please tell us why.

David C