End of Year Accounting procedures

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Feb 1 23:33:36 EST 2014

On Feb 1, 2014, at 6:47 PM, Jamestk <davidjamestk at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello folks.
>
> Is the archive feature now available?
>
> It's a difficult one to Google as archive brings up lots of unrelated
> topics. The main problem I have is with reports with date range manually
> excluding categories or accounts no longer used.
>
> I have also found this approach to be a bit hit a miss as highlighting one
> additional category will cause the report to default, i.e back to just the
> one (highlighted) instead of adding..if that makes sense??
>
> Another quick question on custom reports. is it possible to literally
> produce your own report form individual categories or is there some
> limitation perhaps in mixing different groups?
>
> I ask, as again once you have an established report tailoring it can
> sometime lead to those existing categories being reset.
>
> Thanks all.

If you mean "gemini", where closing the books would create a new file with the previous year's ending balances brought forward as opening balances, no, that never worked and I ripped out as much of it as I thought I safely could a couple of years ago. When we achieve being a proper database application the performance impact of older data can be greatly reduced by multi-stage queries.

If you said which OS you're using, I've forgotten, but all have some key-mouse combination that extends a selection rather than replacing it. That may be a bit dicey in some of the reports, particularly those that aren't using a GtkTreeView for account selection.

It's possible to literally produce your own report with whatever you want if you know or learn Scheme and the QofQuery API. Other than that customization is limited to what is presented in the options menu of any particular report.

Regards,
John Ralls