Duplicate invoices help needed

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 4 13:08:53 EST 2014

Hi,

Brenda Reed <brendareed123 at gmail.com> writes:

> Not able to just delete the Type of ? since the transaction would need to be
> unposted 1st, and the search does not turn up the transaction. It sounds like
> you are right that the read only transaction in the A/R register may have been
> duplicated (for the record I did not use the "Duplicate" function). I was able
> to create this issue 2 times and have only been using GnuCash for 2 weeks. Can
> I go into the XML file and find the records and remove them? If so, what
> should I search on, invoice # maybe? Yes, I will file a bug report. Sad to be
> in no man's land where a problem cannot be fixed. Wonder if this happens much?

Did you *try* to unpost it?  No transactions created by the business
features should ever have a "?" in that column.  An Invoice will have an
"I" and a Payment will have a "P".  If you see a "?" then that means the
transaction was NOT created by the business invoice "post" procedure.

This is why you cannot find it via "search" -- there *IS* no invoice
behind the transaction.  It's a rogue, probably created by a "duplicate
transaction" mistake.  I question: How did you create this transaction?

So... Did you *TRY* to delete the transaction?  What happened with you
tried?