Can nobody answer my 2 questions about invoices and payments?

Buddha Buck blaisepascal at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 20:21:33 EST 2014

For what it's worth, Mr. Biggs, all of your postings were caught by my spam
filters (or Google's spam filters, really). I did not see your questions
until David responded to them, and then I had to search for them.

After having read your two questions, I'm afraid I can't answer them as is.
I do not understand your workflow as it is in GnuCash.

If I understand what is going on (with regard to the expense voucher
question), you receive a card from your employer which is intended to be
used to pay for meals, gas, and other travel expenses. You are having
trouble entering payments to invoices related to this arrangement. I am
uncertain how invoices and payments relate to this arrangement, since I
wouldn't use invoices for this purpose. Perhaps I am misunderstanding how
expense vouchers work in your situation.

Your other question seemed to relate to difficulties with importing bank
records and matching imported transactions with existing transactions to
prevent duplicate transactions. I have no experience with importing bank
records, so I don't think I can help you there.

As for A/P and A/R accounts, to the best of my knowledge they are not
updated based on transaction actions in other accounts, but solely by
transactions that are created by the "business functions" (customers,
vendors, invoices, bills, credit notes, and payments related to them).
Those transactions are stored linked to the business objects that are
attached to them, but are otherwise normal transactions.

As part of my normal workflow I routinely edit transactions involving A/R
when I receive payments with transaction fees, since the business functions
don't (as of 2.4) allow me to say that of a $20 payment, $19.12 went to
Assets:Bank and $0.88 went to Expenses:Bank. I don't change the split
associated with A/R, but I have deleted whole payment transactions (all
splits, including A/R) when I've messed up and re-entered them. I am
careful, to be sure, but I've rarely run into a problem.