Balance sheet still not balancing with Trading accounts activated

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Sat Feb 15 01:11:05 EST 2014

--On February 14, 2014 3:10:55 PM -0800 pete.dickson at gmail.com wrote:

> Thanks, David. That looks like it will be a good starting point for
> me.
>
> Interestingly, rolling-forward through the dates, the file with
> Trading Accts active runs into the first unbalanced BS earlier than
> without trading accts active, in 1994 when I did a sale of some stock
> -- looks like a very simple conversion of stock to cash, but that was
> just imported as-is from Quicken, so not sure how that works in gc
> yet.
>
> In the file without trading accts active I can roll-forward all the
> way to 2009 without any imbalances. I guess I'll see if I can
> work-through the file w/o trading accts active 1st to try to
> eliminate all the stock-related issues...

I would work on the one with trading accounts since that is more likely
to be productive.  The fact that it goes out of balance earlier is
probably a coincidence.  I suspect that you didn't account for capital
gain or loss on the stock sale and this might be causing your problems.
If you can find the exact date at which it first goes out of balance
you can probably narrow the problem down to a few transactions (unless
that was a busy day).  It's not surprising you're having problems like
this after importing 20 years of Quicken data.  GnuCash and Quicken
have rather different data models and converting from one to the other
is to some extent a manual process.

        Mike