Balance sheet still not balancing with Trading accounts activated

pete.dickson at gmail.com pete.dickson at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 02:33:57 EST 2014

On 14 February 2014 22:11, Mike Alexander <mta at umich.edu> wrote:

> I would work on the one with trading accounts since that is more likely to
> be productive.  The fact that it goes out of balance earlier is probably a
> coincidence.  I suspect that you didn't account for capital gain or loss on
> the stock sale and this might be causing your problems. If you can find the
> exact date at which it first goes out of balance you can probably narrow the
> problem down to a few transactions (unless that was a busy day).  It's not
> surprising you're having problems like this after importing 20 years of
> Quicken data.  GnuCash and Quicken have rather different data models and
> converting from one to the other is to some extent a manual process.

That may be the case. For now, I'm troubleshooting what I think is a
side issue so am still in the non-trading file just to keep my test
txns simpler. I think I should post a new message under a new subject.
I'll return to this...

By the way, just to correct something I said earlier:

On 2/14/2014 3:28 PM, pete.dickson at gmail.com wrote:
> In a copy of my file, I tried activating trading accounts then doing a
> Repair All to add all the Trading account splits. But the balance sheet
> still is not in balance after doing that.

I believe the Repair I ran was run while in a particular account, so I
think I inadvertently only updated that one account In a later test
run I ran the full "Check & Repair All" from the Accounts list screen
(took noticeably longer to run). With that done, I could then
roll-forward both the trading and non-trading files all the way
through 2009 before running into imbalances -- and the side-issue
(blank Unrealised Gains, Total Equity, and Total Liabilities & Equity
values on the balance sheet).

Cheers,
Pete