Reconciliation window can't do basic math?!

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Feb 20 16:21:51 EST 2014

On Feb 20, 2014, at 11:33 AM, Wolfgang Faust <wolfgangmcq at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been using GnuCash for a few months, and it's working great.
> However, it's choking on this one particular reconciliation for
> reasons I don't understand at all. A screenshot is attached.
>
> As far as I can tell, GnuCash seems to have become incapable of doing
> basic math. Adding up the numbers in "Funds In" gets me $112.58, not
> $111.18, and for "Funds Out" the figure should be $199, not $103.
>
> What on earth is going on here, and how do I fix it? I'm using GnuCash
> 2.6.0, built from rev 38a0d33+ on 2013-12-31. (This is the version in
> the Arch Linux repository; I had problems compiling 2.6.1 from source.
> However, the list of bugs fixed in 2.6.1 didn't list this problem.)

Is it possible that there are single-split transactions in that account? They won’t show up in the register in 2.6.0 because of a bug that’s fixed in 2.6.1; this has been the source of several instances of weird balance problems. If you’re not able to use 2.6.1, you could try opening the file with 2.4.13 or 2.4.15, depending on what’s available for your distro.

Regards,
John Ralls