Bayesian import not allowed with QIF

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 8 10:15:58 EST 2014

Hi,

olme <dolmedilla at yahoo.es> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am using for about 3-4 years GNUCash 2.4.11. I developed different scripts
> that would convert my bank statements exported as CSVs (I am in Germany and
> AFAIK online banking has not been an option) into QIF and  then import them.
> The importer for QIF then matches into accounts based on a full-text match
> (as described in the file "qif-accounts-map", created from my previous
> history). That was working great, but now however,  each transaction
> description in my bank is given a unique number in addition to the standard
> text, that is, for the transactions repeating each month, now the
> description text has always one token that is changing, so full match will
> never work again. Therefore I would be very interested in using the bayesian
> feature of the import but I read in a post from 2006 that it is not
> available for QIF imports.
>
> Therefore, my questions would be:
> - Has this changed? Is there a way (perhaps via configuration or new
> versions of GNUCash) to use the bayesian learner/matcher with QIF imports?

No.  The Bayesian matching is part of the "new" generic import screens.
However QIF doesn't use that UI.  It would be a lot of work to migrate
that.  There was an effort once to do it, but it stalled and failed.
Nobody else has come forward to try to work on it.

> - Is OFX or QFX available somehow for German banks such as Diba, com direct
> or the Spanish ING Direct?

No, but isn't HBCI available to you?

> - Is there any other easy way any of you could imagine to follow (removing
> the changing token from the description of the transactions is not feasible
> since the place varies depending the type of transaction)?

You could pre-process the QIF and add an appropriate L (category) line
which will then take precedence over the P/M lines?