Startup problems

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Thu Jul 31 12:04:50 EDT 2014

On Thursday 31 July 2014 08:35:24 JOSEPH AIELLO wrote:
> Well I am still having problems.
> I did a complete re-install of ver 2.6.3,win 7 after deleting all
> known references  to gnucash. . trying to  initiate Gnucash I get the
> following msg:(attachment 1) . after using the 2nd or 3rd option, the
> program continues. . after a few operations, things seem to go fine.
>  . want to print a report  ( i.e income statement for example), the
> system crashes(attachment 2 & 3) . what is the lock Gnucash is
> looking for?
>  . In the reinstall , I thought I removed all remnants, but maybe not
>  . happens in even if using a new file
>  . how do I resolve this issue?
>  . what is this lock?
>  . I would really like to remove all references to unused files.
>
> ....... joe
Joe,

Your first screenshot basically shows a warning that gnucash is trying to open your data file
while it appears to be open still (an open data file has a lock on it to prevent you from opening
it twice from different locations).

This situation can also happen if gnucash crashed. In that case it didn't have a chance to clean
up on closing and so the file still appears to be locked.

What caught my eye in this case though is that you have apparently saved your gnucash data
file in the program directory (meaning c:\\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\bin). I would highly
recommend you to move your data file to your Documents directory instead. It may well be that
GnuCash can't work properly with your data file stored in the program directory.

Here is how you can fix this:
- Quit GnuCash if it's still open
- Open a Windows file explorer and navigate to
  C:\\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\bin
- In there you will find one or more file starting with "test55.gnucash"
- Copy all those files to your Documents directory (or a subdirectory thereof if you prefer)
- Inside your Documents directory (or the subdirectory), double-click on the file named
"test55.gnucash" to open it in GnuCash. This last step will tell GnuCash where to look for your
file in the future.

You may still get the lock warning, but you can click "Open Anyway" in this case.

Do you still get the crashes after this move ?

Geert