Cannot save settings/preferences

el_piel buckner.carlos at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 18:15:54 EDT 2014

I am having troubles saving preferences.  I have gnucash 2.4.11 on my laptop
running Win 7.  Everything works fine, except that I cannot save any
preferences.  In particular, I cannot stop the tip of the day messages at
startup, or the auto save notification.  When I uncheck those settings in
the appropriate menu, they do not stay unchecked if I look in the menu
again. What steps do I need to take to investigate and repair this problem?
I would really like it if gnucash would not prompt me for a save every 5
minutes.

I have noted a similar post,
http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/Windows-XP-Saving-Presences-td1430893.html.

There are no abnormal characters in the paths identifying either the gnucash
application data or the specific file data. I don't know where to find a
config or settings file, and I wouldn't know how to properly change the
contents anyway.

It may be important to note that the data file that I am trying to access
was initially created on another computer, but also by me.

If I can supply any further information to help me solve this problem I am
happy to do so.

Thank you for any ideas and assistance.