Can't get online quotes for some Fidelity/BlackRock investments

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Mar 1 11:39:08 EST 2014

On Mar 1, 2014, at 8:13 AM, Andrew Kolbus <andrew.kolbus at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ken and John,
> Thanks for your responses.  That's what I feared, but I was hoping that maybe there was a way to get them through the Fidelity source, since it is a Fidelity 401k.  That being said, when I use those symbols in Fidelity's own "Get Quote" form, it reports the symbol as unknown.  I have also tried google and yahoo finance to no avail, I'm not familiar with any other quote providers, but it is probably not publicly available.  Looks like F::Q is out of the question for this one.
>
> That being said, by importing my QIF transaction data from Fidelity into Gnucash, I am providing Gnucash with a price for the investment.  Can Gnucash use this data as a price source when calculating the value of the investment, rolling up, reporting, etc?

It could, but creating a record in the price db from a buy or sell transaction currently lives in the GUI code rather than somewhere that the import code can get at. That's obviously a design flaw. I don't want to make structural changes in a maintenance branch, and I won't guarantee that we'll get to it in the coming dev cycle unless someone shows up to take on reworking and unifying the import mechanism.

Regards,
John Ralls