Reliability of Gnu Cash software

John Dablin jdablin at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 5 11:12:35 EST 2014

I started using Gnucash on Linux to keep the accounts for a community
wind band I play in. I'm startled to see that the first entries are
dated April 2001, but I may have copied the first year's entries from my
old system meaning I've been using Gnucash for 12 years!. I now handle
some £8000 a year income and expenditure for the band.

 From 2006 to 2011 I worked for myself as a sole trader and used Gnucash
for my accounts, using the A/R system to keep track of invoices (I
didn't need accounts payable as my expenditure was too simple). Then
last year I started to use it to keep the accounts for another
organisation where I'm treasurer.

In all that time I can't remember any problems with the program. It
never crashes, and if I've ever lost data it was something I did wrong,
usually because I didn't understand what I was doing. Luckily I back up
the data files after every session so I can always go back to a recent copy.

It was a fairly steep learning curve to begin with, mainly because I'm
not an accountant and didn't understand the accounting principles behind
Gnucash, not because its particularly difficult to use. I've been on the
mailing list a long time as well, and my impression is that half the
queries are concerned with online banking, rather than the core Gnucash
program. Also users of Microsoft Windows seem to have more problems
installing and setting up the program than Linux users, where it's
usually packaged with the distro.

So I would highly recommend Gnucash, it's improved a lot while I've been
using it, and it does everything I need it to do and more. My wife's
even started using it to keep her personal accounts.

John Dablin
UK