Error while installing GnuCash

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Mar 13 16:35:42 EDT 2014

On Mar 13, 2014, at 6:05 AM, Len Reddie <len.reddie at amnet.net.au> wrote:

> I am running Win8, and have downloaded GnuCash through "gnucash-2.6.2-setup(1).exe". Shortly after it starts to do the actual install, it comes up with the message that it is unable to find "Getperl.vbs".  I have tried a number of time and even downloaded a new version of Perl, in case the module was hiding in there.
>
> I have tried searching my computer and the GnuCash site for the particular module, but am running into brick walls.
>
> If I choose to ignore it and continue on with the install, I run into the problem of not being able to load the tutorial or the Help features.
>
> Any suggestions, please?

That’s rather odd. I just checked and everything, including getperl.vbs, installed correctly on Win7. Odder still, getperl.vbs doesn’t have anything to do with help or the tutorial; it’s used by the Install Retrieve Online Prices tool to install Strawberry Perl if it finds no installed perl on your system.

Check your downloads folder and see if perhaps you have multiple copies of gnucash-2.6.2-setup*.exe. Make sure that the one you tried to install is 74,956,573 bytes. If you know how to get a SHA1 on Windows (I don’t), the SHA1 signature is 98bd258f7de8304aa4c5364b03db28223e743b43.

Regards,
John Ralls