Detailed deposits (RE: trying Gnucash to replace Quickbooks)

gnucash at ware4.com gnucash at ware4.com
Fri Mar 21 06:59:51 EDT 2014

>make those renters into customers, make invoices and then put the payments
in through that system.

Renters can be "customers," but invoicing is not appropriate nor does it
solve the basic problem: the need for fairly detailed information about each
detail line on a deposit ticket. A typical deposit may look something like
this:

Smith,   Rental Income:1234 Foobar Street,  Check,        #500,   Note:
still owes $200!,      $1000.00
Jones,    Rental Income:4321 Main Street,      M. Order, *6343, Paid on
time,                       $1000.00
Owner,  Current Liability:Officer Loan,             Cash,
, Cash added to business,  $500.00
Clark,     Current Liability:Security Deposit,     Cashiers,  *866,    New
tenant Mr. Clark,    $1500.00
TOTAL: $3000.00

Later, I may need to find these transactions, for obvious reasons (bounced
check, replaced check, find all instances when Smith paid by Cash instead of
Check, etc.) and Quickbooks has an extensive Edit->Find menu for finding
just about anything.

Does anyone have any further ideas how to save detailed information
regarding a deposit? Am I missing something in the Gnucash?

Thanks in advance,

Mike