Can't open my gnucash after downloading gnucash on to a new computer

Robert Kesterson robertk at robertk.com
Mon May 5 05:45:33 EDT 2014

I haven't run GnuCash on Windows in years, and you may already know
these things, so forgive me if my response is a little generic.

First, be aware that the GnuCash data file is where all your accounting
data lives, so as long as you have that file, you haven't lost
anything.  I've moved my data file between different computers and
operating systems several times over the years and never lost a thing.

Second, be aware that the list of programs that Microsoft shows you
doesn't necessarily include every program on your computer, so the fact
that a program doesn't show up in that list doesn't mean it can't be
run.  It just means doing so might require a different approach.

Now having said those things, did you run the Gnucash setup when you
downloaded it?  When you download the GnuCash setup file for Windows
(http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/gnucash/gnucash-2.6.3-setup.exe),
you need to run it to install Gnucash.  The setup program itself won't
show up in your program list (nor should it), but once you run the
setup, then GnuCash should show up.  If you told your browser to save
the file rather than run it, you'll need to open the folder where it was
saved and double-click the setup exe to run it.  I think most browsers
will default to saving files in a "Downloads" folder under your user
directory, which should be on your start menu as your login name under
Windows 7.  If you're on Windows 8, there's a little more to it, see
http://www.simpliguide.com/windows-8-guides/5-access-your-personal-files-and-all-other-files-and-folders-in-windows-8.html
for info about that.

If that doesn't get it going, reply back to the list, there are other
Windows users who can probably go into more detail than I did.