Dividend reinvestment from Vanguard QFX import

Larkin Lowrey llowrey at nuclearwinter.com
Fri Nov 7 02:08:01 EST 2014

I am finding that when I import Vanguard transactions via QFX that
dividend reinvestments are being recorded as simple buys and debited
from the cash account. Is there a way to get GnuCash to automatically
record these into Income:Dividends:XYZ or otherwise handled is income?

I spent many hours trying to get Online download working with my
Vanguard mutual fund accounts but concluded it was not possible. Does
that in deed work and would it solve my reinvested dividend problem? The
issue I ran into was that the account list download would download the
list of my accounts but not the list of individual fund accounts. I did
find that I could change the account number to XXX-YYYYY where XXX is
the fund ID and get the transactions imported but they were imported as
simple bank style transactions.

--Larkin