very weird quirk noted, copying one computer to another

Simon Bryant simonbry at telus.net
Sun Oct 12 13:15:59 EDT 2014

Thanks for the replies.
Please bear with me, I'm a "user" not a "developer" and if there's someway to screw up something, I'll find it. Here's the situation:
What  mean is I copy the .gnucash files as per the directions from the guide, section 2.7. To do this I "Save As" to a location. This is supposed to be my entire data file, correct? I then copy that file to a USB, walk over to a second Mac computer with the same operating system (OS10) and pop in the USB and open the file. The data displayed is different! I have all the journal entries in the general ledger, but each individual account only displays a few recent entries. I have tried checking and resetting the "filter" for viewing each account, without any luck. For what it's worth I believe I deleted ALL gnucash files on the receiving computer before opening the .gnucash file from the USB. There does not seem to be any way for me have the second computer display all existing entries (as shown in the general ledger) in the related accounts. Just one or two show up in each account.
Thanks for looking! and I hope this is useful to those developing the software. I've spent quite some time looking through available documentation, and attempting to transfer the data to a second computer; meanwhile I want a usable program to get on with business with, that isn't confined to one physical computer.
 2.7. Migrating GnuCash data

Sometimes you may need to move your financial data and GnuCash settings to another machine. Typical use cases are when you buy a new computer or if you want to use the same settings over two different operating systems in a dual boot configuration.

2.7.1. Migrating financial data

Migrating GnuCash financial data is a as simple as copying .gnucash files with a file manager if you know where they are saved. If you can’t remember where a file is stored but you can open it directly within GnuCash, save it in the desired path from within GnuCash.

All other files in the folder are either backups or log files. It won’t do any harm to copy them too, but it’s not likely to do any good, either.