very weird quirk noted, copying one computer to another

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 13:59:35 EDT 2014

On 12 October 2014 18:15, Simon Bryant <simonbry at telus.net> wrote:
> Thanks for the replies.
> Please bear with me, I'm a "user" not a "developer" and if there's someway
> to screw up something, I'll find it. Here's the situation:
> What  mean is I copy the .gnucash files as per the directions from the
> guide, section 2.7. To do this I "Save As" to a location. This is supposed
> to be my entire data file, correct? I then copy that file to a USB, walk
> over to a second Mac computer with the same operating system (OS10) and pop
> in the USB and open the file. The data displayed is different! I have all
> the journal entries in the general ledger, but each individual account only
> displays a few recent entries. I have tried checking and resetting the
> "filter" for viewing each account, without any luck. For what it's worth I
> believe I deleted ALL gnucash files on the receiving computer before opening
> the .gnucash file from the USB. There does not seem to be any way for me
> have the second computer display all existing entries (as shown in the
> general ledger) in the related accounts. Just one or two show up in each
> account.

It sounds as if you did it exactly right.  You didn't answer my other
question, are the running balances on the accounts correct.  That will
show whether the transactions are in the file but not visible for some
reason, or are not in the file at all.

Which versions of GC are you using on the two machines?

Colin