Handling charitable donation as a discount on an invoice

David Gillam dave at davegillam.org
Tue Oct 28 09:02:37 EDT 2014

Pay the invoice with partial payments according to the received checks.  I do this all the time for clients who somehow don't read the invoice correctly, so I have to apply their first payment, and send them a copy of the same invoice (with payment details included) to show them there's a remaining balance.  When their second check comes in, I apply that, and now the invoice is at $0 and fully paid.  I use the comment field on the payment to indicate "for invoice ####" just to be clear in my own records what's what.

In the case of one check covering the whole invoice, but part of the payment needs to get split off--ie. an "overpayment"--one can keep the overage in Accounts Receivable then note on the next invoice that partial payment has already been applied.  One can also split the transaction in the register.  I've never done this, but can see how it would work.

Cheers,

David
Gillam Data Services, Inc. - Computer Training & Support
dave at davegillam.com | www.davegillam.com | 972-383-9391