Just a Quick help question on network drives please help

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 17:07:01 EDT 2014

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 9:48 AM, Martin Richards <mixdoctor at rjrhythm.com>
wrote:

> I do have 1 problem all my data is stored on a samba server and also
> mirrored for security incase of hdd failure. The question is basically when
> you opt to save as or to open the software will only look at your local
> hard drive and no where else. I have made my templets etc and started my
> accounts and the folder of data is on my desktop. I then transfer that
> folder to my network server which is mounted to my mac but when going to
> open that folder in the software it does not give me the option to browse
> network hence I am a bit worried on having sensitive data on my local
> machine and not being backed up you see.
>
> So have you any idea how I can open and save my accounts data on a network
> server drive please

Someone asked a similar question last year, so the answer is readily
available:
https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2013-July/049965.html

Quoting John Ralls in his answer in that message:

Macs mount everything in /Volumes, to which one can navigate

> in the Gnucash File Chooser.
>

>> First, make sure that the network folder is mounted and browsable in
>> Finder. Note its share (not host) name: When you select a shared host in
>> Finder, the first screen/level/column (depending on which view is selected
>> in Finder) displays the shares available on that machine. The one you
>> select will be the name that shows up in the /Volumes folder in the next
>> step.
>

>> Start up Gnucash and select File->Open. On the selection list on the left
>> you'll see entries for "File System" and "/"; they both go to the same
>> place. Click on that, then scroll down and double-click on "Volumes". Find
>> the share name for the remote folder, double click on that, then navigate
>> as usual to the account file.

I hope with that you can find your data. If you need to follow up, be sure
to write to the list.

-----