Which stable version of GnuCash should I move to?

Santhosh Paul editor.smp at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 02:22:05 EDT 2015

Fellow GnuCashers,

   I've been using GnuCash for about five years now. I don't have an
accounting head, and nor am I particularly interested in money -- except
that I need a certain minimum to keep hydra-headed wolves from the door --
and so I never in my wildest dreams imagined that I'd use a double-entry
accounting program for my personal needs. But thanks to the marvelous
tutorial that came with the program, I eventually figured out how to use
the program, and we've been living happily together ever since. A big
thank-you to the developers, my eternal gratitude.

   The one cloud in an otherwise sunny sky is this message that keeps
popping up once in a while when I fire up Gnucash:

Warning!! This is a DEVELOPMENT version of GnuCash. It probably has lots of
bugs and unstable features! If you are looking for a stable personal
finance application, you should use the latest release of GnuCash 2.4.

   This makes me uneasy. I've been ignoring the message all these years,
but better late than never. The version I'm using is 2.4.0, built from svn
r19971 on 2010-12-21.Which version should I be using (I'm on XP), and is it
possible to transition to it from my current version?

    Thanks!

Santhosh
--
http://cochinblogger.wordpress.com