Pre-process OFX download?

David Reiser dbreiser at icloud.com
Tue Dec 1 15:10:08 EST 2015

On 12/1/2015 12:34, jmk wrote:
> Is it possible to d/l an OFX file directly (so I can then parse it
> before importing into GNUCash)? I cannot find a way to do it in the
> program itself... I found mentions of a tool that can do this, but the
> site linked is a 404 now. (http://www.jongsma.org/ofx/)
>
> My bank does not allow downloads of OFX/QIF etc from the web afaik. Only
> from programs like Quicken/GnuCash, etc via OFX
If you are on a Unix variant, you can turn on aqbanking logging via an
environment variable, start the direct connect session in gnucash,
cancel the gnucash import in the transaction matcher dialog, then open
the ofx.log file (usually in /tmp) and retrieve the ofx stream. I'm not
near my gnucash machine at the moment, so I can't tell you what that
environment variable is. And I don't know if windows has any way to
accommodate system variables for unix-like programs.

There are several (more) annoyances about this approach:
The log file contains both the query and response phases of the ofx
connection, so,
The log file contains your account ID and password in plain text.
Unless you delete the ofx.log file between sessions, aqbanking just
appends new sessions to the end of the file until the file is deleted on
a reboot.

Despite its annoyances, the log file does enable me to retrieve things
like the error message generated by Chase's abominable attempt to change
their login authentication procedure starting on Thanksgiving day last
week. Gnucash doesn't display much of the error information in a
completed, but not successful ofx session.

Dave