Adv Port Report - Capitalization of Commissions

Larry Evans cppljevans at suddenlink.net
Mon Dec 28 13:41:52 EST 2015

On 12/26/2015 11:03 PM, CDB-Man wrote:
> Hey everyone,
Hi CDB-Man,

> I was talking to jralls over on IRC, and he suggested posing the question
> to the group here, and more specifically to *Mike Alexander* as well, the
> maintainer of the Adv. Portfolio Report if he's listening.
>
> The conversation is recorded in the #gnucash IRC logs, starting at 13:47:26
> time stamp.
> http://lists.gnucash.org/logs/2015/11/2015-11-21.html#T13:47:26
> Most of the issue and my suggested possible solution is detailed in the
> conversation.
>
> *To put it into paragraph form instead:*
> Essentially, the issue at hand is how the advanced portfolio report handles
> commissions on purchase of securities.  Current behaviour is to only
> consider an amount as commissions, if the amount is a debit to an expense
> account.
>
> The advanced portfolio report itself will capitalize the commissions into
> the cost basis if you tell it to do so in the options.

I tried to do what you've suggested here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/86jzjk74fjm0h1t/AADHSEVBNC_Fw0oBc-Ukg8doa?dl=0

Could yo please let me know if I got it right?

The Advance Portfolio Report shows a cost basis of $100.00 which doesn't
reflect the commission of $5.00.  OTOH, the 'Realized Gain" does because
it shows -$5.00.

Also, I couldn't find the option which "will capitalize the commissions
into the cost basis".  I only saw, on the General tab:

  [ ] Ignore brokerage fees when calculating return

I'm using Gnucash 2.6.1.  Could you please let me know where
you found this report option?

-regards,
Larry
[snip]