Reluctantly Going Back to QuickBooks

Jan Steinman Jan at EcoReality.org
Mon Feb 9 13:54:13 EST 2015

> From: Jill Terry <jill at babrees.co.uk>
>
> I am planning on switching my business over to GnuCash from QuickBooks at the beginning of my financial year (1st March). But I won't be even trying to import, I shall just put opening balances in.  If you really want to switch, could you not do that?

Yea, I considered that. But we have a lot of long-term obligations (investment shares) in there that can't really be dealt with via "opening balance."

I considered importing only the long-term obligations (by re-entering, if necessary), but since those funds flowed through the checking account, it would make the opening balance messy.

I agree that QuickBooks is tenuous. I might put all the long-term obligations into MySQL, and use GnuCash only for current accounts. But that gets messy, because some of our share classes (community supported dairy, for example) have a lot of turn-over.

There's no perfect solution, unfortunately. I'll re-evaluate next December.

:::: Just as the increase in fossil fuel consumption changed farm workers into industrial workers, so a coming decrease in fossil fuel availability may change today's industrial and service workers into agricultural workers. -- Pat Murphy