Reports: Include second column for previous period

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Mon Feb 23 14:30:24 EST 2015

...only these reports do not allow this. A "Multicolumn Report" is
essentially just a bunch or reports next to each other - destroying the
easy overview from having the numbers directly next to each other. There
is - to some extent - a workaround, using budgets. Only with budgets it
is also quite tedious, because changing the budget period is slow. Also,
it's layout isn't nearly as nice as the original reports. So, two
questions: - has someone actually created a custom report that
implements the above?

Rather I will describe what happened when we switched keeping an
organization's over to gnucash and I asked the lawyer-accountant whether
I should write a custom report for the usual format a non-profit does
its annual report. He said "Don't bother Mike. Just produce the two
Balance Sheets and two Income Statements (well a non-profit titles those
Statement of Revenues) and we'll use my favorite editor to put all that
together into the annual report. Any accountant prefers to do it that way."

OK, why you ask (I didn't have to, immediately obvious)
1) The fixed text portion. Normal to have accounting principles used
expressed. For example, de minimus for fixed assets, depreciation
schedule, etc.
2) Annotations  (going to have to use an  editor to stick these in anyway)
3) And what do you do if the chart of accounts doesn't match up exactly
(changed one year to the next). Going to have to edit for that.

Michael

PS: And hey, this is just for a annual report printed by an ordinary
computer printer. Now if this were a really big organization and the
annual report printed in the 100,000's by a real print shop, after the
initial editor phase would be ones for better editing control and then
the matching compositor program (for a fine print job details)